Re: Thus spoke SQL3 (on OO) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert B. Easter
Subject Re: Thus spoke SQL3 (on OO)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 21 May 2000, Chris Bitmead wrote:
> "Robert B. Easter" wrote:
>
> > I guess the major difference is that the hierarchial-model does not
> > support multiple inheritance.
>
> I don't agree. From SQL3...
>
> "To avoid name clashes, a subtype can rename selected components of the
> representation inherited from its direct supertypes."
>
> and if that doesn't clinch it...
>
> "Let the term replicated column mean a column appearing in more than one
> direct supertable of T that is inherited by at least one of those direct
> supertables from the same column of a single higher-level supertable."
>
> That sounds like multiple repeated inheritance to me.

What is the date on the copy of the SQL/Foundation you are reading?  My copy is
dated September 23, 1999 ISO/IEC 9075-2 SQL3_ISO.  I tried searching for the
quotes above and could not find them.  Do I have the correct version?

--
Robert B. Easter
reaster@comptechnews.com