FW: speed of querry? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Joel Fradkin
Subject FW: speed of querry?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Another odd thing is when I tried turning off merge joins on the XP desktop
It took 32 secs to run compared to the 6 secs it was taking.
On the Linux (4proc box) it is now running in 3 secs with the mergejoins
turned off.

Unfortunately it takes over 2 minutes to actually return the 160,000+ rows.
I am guessing that is either network (I have gig cards on a LAN) or perhaps
the ODBC driver (using PGADMIN III to do the select).

I tried to run on psql on the server but it was putting it out to more.
If I do it and use > test.txt will it run it all out so I can get a time?
Does it display the time anywhere like in pgadminIII?