Re: changing column size and type. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From George Weaver
Subject Re: changing column size and type.
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi Ivan,

I don't know if this is a recommended practice or not, but you can try the
following.

Use PgDump to back up the entire database as a text file.  Edit the backup
text file and change the CREATE TABLE statement for the table you want to
change, changing the column width to the new width desired.  Restore the
database.  The database will be restored with the new width for the column
in the table.

The ability to do this depends on the size of the database, whether it can
be taken off line, etc. etc.

HTH
George