how does pg handle concurrent queries and same queries - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Faludi Gábor
Subject how does pg handle concurrent queries and same queries
Date
Re: how does pg handle concurrent queries and same queries  (Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>)
Re: how does pg handle concurrent queries and same queries  ("Dennis Brakhane" <brakhane@googlemail.com>)
List pgsql-performance

Hi All,

I have taken over the maintenance of a server farm , recently. 2 webserver on  db server. They are quite powerful 2 processor xeon w/ 6Gig of ram .

Couple of days ago we had a serious performance hit and the db server (pg. v7.4) was overloaded w/ something in a way that operating system was almost not able to respond or in cases it did not.

After some analysis i suspect that there is a query that takes up to 1 second and that is the cause. Upon  each page loading this query fires and takes the one second and blocks the page to load completly . The load was roughly ~300 connections in one minute .

So here are my questions :

·         Why does the second and the later queries take the whole on second if the dataset is the same . Shouldn’t PG realise that the query is the same so i give the user the same resultset ?

·         How do I know if one query blocks the other ?

·         Is there a way to log the long running queries in 7.4 ? If not is it available in any newer version ?

thanks for your help !

Üdvözlettel/kind regards,

Faludi, Gábor

FITS Magyarország Kft.