RE: [GENERAL] using ID as a key - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Barnes
Subject RE: [GENERAL] using ID as a key
Date
List pgsql-general
Take a look at Bruce's book at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/awbook.html

He explains oid's and sequences extremely well, and that might be what you
are looking for.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pgsql-general@postgreSQL.org
[mailto:owner-pgsql-general@postgreSQL.org]On Behalf Of sheila bel
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2000 11:41 AM
To: pgsql-general@postgreSQL.org
Subject: [GENERAL] using ID as a key

Hi,

I'm new to data base design so please bare with me if my
question is so basic..
I'm designing a database, two of the tables are EMPLOYEES and
AGENCIES. I need an ID for each of them. I would also need to
have the agencyID in the EMPLOYEES table so that I can identify
which agency they belong to something like a foreign key. I know
postgreSQL does not support it so how do I implement this ?
What kind of data type should I use for the ID ? In general I
do not know how to implement IDs and use them as keys.
I've read the user manual and a bit of the programmer's
manual several times but haven't found anything that will
apply to this situation.

Please Help. Thank You.

-Sheila