Re: how to use recursion to find end nodes of a tree - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From
Subject Re: how to use recursion to find end nodes of a tree
Date
List pgsql-sql
Thankyou very much Yasir and Ross for your help and advice.
I have created a pl/pgsql version of Yasirs algorithm which
works perfectly, I am also looking into improving efficiency
by flaging leaf records. Here is my pl/pgsql solution in case
it helps anyone out:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION parentchildtest(int4) RETURNS _int4 AS
'DECLARE   node ALIAS FOR $1;    s INTEGER[];   leaves INTEGER[];   top INTEGER;   counter INTEGER;   leaf_id INTEGER;
 popped INTEGER;   child RECORD;   childCount RECORD;

BEGIN   leaf_id := 0;   top := 0;   s := ''{}'';   leaves := ''{}'';       s[top] := node;   counter := 1;      -- t a
depthfirst search   WHILE (counter <> 0) LOOP    popped := s[top];top := top - 1;counter := counter - 1;

FOR child IN SELECT pc.child_id FROM parent_child AS pc    WHERE pc.parent_id = poppedLOOP    SELECT INTO childCount
COUNT(*)AS count FROM parent_child AS pc

WHERE pc.parent_id = child.child_id;
    --a count of zero indicates that child node has no children    IF (childCount.count = 0) THEN
leaves[leaf_id]= child.child_id;    leaf_id := leaf_id + 1;    ELSE        -- not a leaf, so add it to the stack for
thenext time

through    -- the loop    top := top + 1;    s[top] = child.child_id;    counter := counter + 1;    END IF;END LOOP;
ENDLOOP;

   RETURN leaves;
END;' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;