Re: Postgres 8.x on Windows Server in production - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Rainer Mager
Subject Re: Postgres 8.x on Windows Server in production
Date
List pgsql-performance
We use Postgres 8.x in production on Windows Server 2003. We have not done a
direct head-to-head comparison against any *nix environment, so I can't
really compare them, but I can still give a few comments.

First of all, it seems that some of the popular file systems in *nix are
more robust at preventing disk fragmentation than NTFS is. Because of this I
definitely recommend have some defragging solution. What we've settled on in
O&O (that's the company name) Defrag Server version. Their software has some
nice features related to defragging in the background while monitoring
system usage so an to impact performance minimally.

Second, one big difficulty with running on Windows is that most of the
Postgres expertise seems is around *nix environments. This means that when
you do need to investigate a performance issue it can be more difficult to
get direct advice. For example, perusing this mailing list will show lot's
of tips suggesting running various tools to show io performance, etc. Well,
on Windows the toolset is different.

All in all we've been happy enough with Windows. Certainly we've never
considered migrating to *nix because of difficulties with it.

--Rainer