Re: file system and raid performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Gregory S. Youngblood
Subject Re: file system and raid performance
Date
List pgsql-performance

[Greg says]
Tempting... if no one else takes you up on it by then, I might have some
time in a week or two to experiment and test a couple of things.

One thing I've noticed with a Silicon Image 3124 SATA going through a
Silicon Image 3726 port multiplier with the binary-only drivers from Silicon
Image (until the PM support made it into the mainline kernel - 2.6.24 I
think, might have been .25) is that under some heavy loads it might drop a
sata channel and if that channel happens to have a PM on it, it drops 5
drives. I saw this with a card that had 4 channels, 2 connected to a PM w/5
drives and 2 direct. It was pretty random.

Not saying that's happening in this case, but odd things have been known to
happen under unusual usage patterns.