RE: unable to write 'raise' messages to log file? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ian Bell
Subject RE: unable to write 'raise' messages to log file?
Date
List pgsql-general

Hello Olivier,

Yes, I  have used ‘notice’, ‘log’ and the various ‘debug’ levels but again none of my message show up in the log files.

Ian

From: Olivier Gautherot [mailto:olivier@gautherot.net]
Sent: 31 May, 2018 15:26
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>
Cc: ib@ianbellsoftware.com; pgsql-general@lists.postgresql.org
Subject: Re: unable to write 'raise' messages to log file?

Hi Ian,

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 3:19 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:

On 05/31/2018 12:15 PM, Olivier Gautherot wrote:

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 3:07 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>> wrote:

    On 05/31/2018 11:20 AM, Ian Bell wrote:

        I am having considerable difficulty logging information in
        PL-pgSQL functions by using the ‘RAISE’ statement.    I am
        asking for comments/suggestions on what I am doing wrong.

        I’ve tried flushing/rotating the log files by executing *‘select
        pg_rotate_logfile()’* in PSQL but my messages never appear in
        the log files.   I’ve tried calling my PL-pgSQL functions in
        PSQL, PgAdmin4, OmniDB and ADO.NET <http://ADO.NET> but again my
        messages never appear in the log file.

        On very rare occasions, I see my messages the log file if I
        restart the PostgreSql server however restarting the server
        generally does not flush my messages to the log files.

    Do they show up in a client? For example psql:

    [snip]
    test_(aklaver)> select testwithbasictypearguments(1, 2.5, 'test');
    LOG:  Test.TestWithArguments: i = 1, n = 2.5, t = test
      testwithbasictypearguments
                               0
    (1 row)

    --     Adrian Klaver
    adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>

I've used the logs successfully here. What are the values of log_min_messages and log_min_error_statement in your postgresql.conf?

The settings are shown in the original post.

By any chance... did you try "RAISE NOTICE..." in your function? That's the level I usually use.

Olivier Gautherot