Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/sql-altertable.html

I am newish to Postgres, and the term "table metadata" was confusing to
me.

I am more than happy to submit a patch for this. I'm just unfamiliar with
the process. Please advise.

> When a column is added with ADD COLUMN and a non-volatile DEFAULT is
specified, the default is evaluated at the time of the statement and the
result stored in the table's metadata. That value will be used for the
column for all existing rows. If no DEFAULT is specified, NULL is used. In
neither case is a rewrite of the table required.

Specifically this sentence: "the result stored in the table's metadata"

Suggest adding specific language to correct it to "the result stored in the
table's metadata. See `pg_attribute` for more information."

Once again, I am more than happy to submit a patch for this.

Thank you

On 11.09.24 22:12, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> Page:https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/sql-altertable.html
>
> I am newish to Postgres, and the term "table metadata" was confusing to
> me.

I think it is pretty easy to do a quick internet search to find out what
table metadata is in the context of an SQL database.  Your complaint
isn't wrong in the sense that the term isn't formally defined here, but
in this case I would opt against adding more text and leave it up to the
user to do the extra research as necessary.  The operation being
discussed isn't something a completely new user would immediately
encounter, after all.