Postgres Clustering

From
Alan McKay
Date:
Hey folks,

I have done some googling and found a few things on the matter.  But
am looking for some suggestions from the experts out there.

Got any good pointers for reading material to help me get up to speed
on PostgreSQL clustering?   What options are available?  What are the
issues?  Terminology.  I'm pretty new to the whole data-warehouse
thing.   And once I do all the reading, I'll even be open to product
recommendations :-)

And in particular since I already have heard of this particular
product - are there any opinions on Continuent?

thanks,
-Alan

--
“Mother Nature doesn’t do bailouts.”
         - Glenn Prickett

Re: Postgres Clustering

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
Alan McKay wrote on 27.05.2009 19:57:
 > What options are available?

I guess a good starting point is the Postgres Wiki:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Replication%2C_Clustering%2C_and_Connection_Pooling

Re: Postgres Clustering

From
Scott Mead

I have done some googling and found a few things on the matter.  But
am looking for some suggestions from the experts out there.

Got any good pointers for reading material to help me get up to speed
on PostgreSQL clustering?   What options are available?  What are the
issues?  Terminology.  I'm pretty new to the whole data-warehouse
thing.   And once I do all the reading, I'll even be open to product
recommendations :-)

And in particular since I already have heard of this particular
product - are there any opinions on Continuent?

   What's your specific use case?  Different types of clustering behave differently depending on what you're trying to do.

    If you're looking to parallelize large BI type queries something like GridSQL or PGPool may make sense.  If you're looking for more of an OLTP solution, or multi-master replication, pgCluster will make more sense.

 --Scott

Re: Postgres Clustering

From
Daniel van Ham Colchete
Date:
Alan,

here I'm implementing something similar to the Chord protocol [1] on the application level to partition my data across 6 PostgreSQL servers with N+1 replication. Two up sides on this approch:

1 - When one server is down the load is spread between all the other ones, instead of going only to the replication pair.
2 - Adding one more server is easy, you only have to reallocate aprox. 1/n of your data (n=number of servers).

Good luck there!

Best,
Daniel

I have done some googling and found a few things on the matter.  But
am looking for some suggestions from the experts out there.

Got any good pointers for reading material to help me get up to speed
on PostgreSQL clustering?   What options are available?  What are the
issues?  Terminology.  I'm pretty new to the whole data-warehouse
thing.   And once I do all the reading, I'll even be open to product
recommendations :-)

And in particular since I already have heard of this particular
product - are there any opinions on Continuent?

thanks,
-Alan

--
“Mother Nature doesn’t do bailouts.”
        - Glenn Prickett

Re: Postgres Clustering

From
Eddy Ernesto Baños Fernández
I have done some googling and found a few things on the matter.  But
am looking for some suggestions from the experts out there.

Got any good pointers for reading material to help me get up to speed
on PostgreSQL clustering?   What options are available?  What are the
issues?  Terminology.  I'm pretty new to the whole data-warehouse
thing.   And once I do all the reading, I'll even be open to product
recommendations :-)

And in particular since I already have heard of this particular
product - are there any opinions on Continuent?

thanks,
-Alan

--
“Mother Nature doesn’t do bailouts.”
         - Glenn Prickett

Re: Postgres Clustering

From
Dimitri Fontaine
Date:
Hi,

Le 27 mai 09 à 19:57, Alan McKay a écrit :
> I have done some googling and found a few things on the matter.  But
> am looking for some suggestions from the experts out there.
>
> Got any good pointers for reading material to help me get up to speed
> on PostgreSQL clustering?   What options are available?  What are the
> issues?  Terminology.  I'm pretty new to the whole data-warehouse
> thing.   And once I do all the reading, I'll even be open to product
> recommendations :-)

Depending on your exact needs, which the terminology you're using only
allow to guess about, you might enjoy this reading:
   http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Image:Moskva_DB_Tools.v3.pdf

--
dim

Re: Postgres Clustering

From
Alan McKay
Date:
> Depending on your exact needs, which the terminology you're using only allow
> to guess about, you might enjoy this reading:
>  http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Image:Moskva_DB_Tools.v3.pdf

Thanks.  To be honest I don't even know myself what my needs are yet.
I've only been on the job here for a month now.  And one thing I
learned at PGCon last week is that I have a lot of benchmarching work
to do before I can figure out what my needs are!

At this point I'm just trying to read as much as I can on the general
topic of "clustering".    What I am most interested in is load
balancing to be able to scale up when required, and of course to be
able to determine ahead of time when that might be :-)

cheers,
-Alan

--
“Mother Nature doesn’t do bailouts.”
         - Glenn Prickett

Re: [GENERAL] Postgres Clustering

From
Tim Uckun
Date:
2009/5/28 Eddy Ernesto Baños Fernández <eebanos@estudiantes.uci.cu>:
> Try Cybercluster....

I looked into that. There is one piece of documentation that is less
than ten pages long. There is no users group, no listserve, no
community that I can discern.

Do you have experience with it and if so could you please share.

Thanks.