Fw: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning

From
Shohab Abdullah

Dear,
We are facing performance tuning problem while using PostgreSQL Database over the network on a linux OS.
Our Database consists of more than 500 tables with an average of 10K records per table with an average of 20 users accessing the database simultaneously over the network. Each table has indexes and we are querying the database using Hibernate.
The biggest problem is while insertion, updating and fetching of records, ie the database performance is very slow. It take a long time to respond in the above scenario.
Please provide me with the tuning of the database. I am attaching my postgresql.conf file for the reference of our current configuration

Please replay me ASAP
Regards,
   Shohab Abdullah
   Software Engineer,
    Manufacturing SBU-POWAI
    Larsen and Toubro Infotech Ltd.| 4th floor, L&T Technology Centre, Saki Vihar Road, Powai, Mumbai-400072
      (:  +91-22-67767366 | (:  +91-9870247322
        Visit us at : http://www.lntinfotech.com
I cannot predict future, I cannot change past, I have just the present moment, I must treat it as my last"
The information contained in this email has been classified:

[ X] L&T Infotech General Business

[    ] L&T Infotech Internal Use Only

[    ] L&T Infotech Confidential

[    ] L&T Infotech Proprietary

Re: Fw: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Please try to keep postings to one mailing list - I've replied to the
performance list here.

Shohab Abdullah wrote:
> Dear,
> We are facing performance tuning problem while using PostgreSQL Database
> over the network on a linux OS.
> Our Database consists of more than 500 tables with an average of 10K
> records per table with an average of 20 users accessing the database
> simultaneously over the network. Each table has indexes and we are
> querying the database using Hibernate.
> The biggest problem is while insertion, updating and fetching of records,
> ie the database performance is very slow. It take a long time to respond
> in the above scenario.
> Please provide me with the tuning of the database. I am attaching my
> postgresql.conf file for the reference of our current configuration

You haven't provided any details on what version of PG you are using,
what hardware you are using, whether there is a specific bottleneck
(disk, memory, cpu) or certain queries.

Without that, no-one can suggest useful settings. You might find this
document a good place to start: http://www.powerpostgresql.com/PerfList/

HTH
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: [GENERAL] Fw: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Please try to post to one list at a time.

I've replied to this on the -performance list.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: [GENERAL] Fw: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning

From
Gerhard Wiesinger
Date:
Hello!

I would do the following (in that order):
1.) Check for a performant application logic and application design (e.g.
degree of granularity of the Java Hibernate Mapping, are there some
object iterators with hundreds of objects, etc.)
2.) Check the hibernate generated queries and whether the query is
suitable or not. Also do a "explain query" do see the query plan.

Sometimes a manually generated is much more efficient than hibernate ones.

3.) Optimize the database e.g. postgresql.

Ciao,
Gerhard

--
http://www.wiesinger.com/