Intel SRCS16 SATA raid?

From
Greg Stark
Date:
Our vendor is trying to sell us on an Intel SRCS16 SATA raid controller
instead of the 3ware one.

Poking around it seems this does come with Linux drivers and there is a
battery backup option. So it doesn't seem to be completely insane.

Anyone have any experience with these controllers?

I'm also wondering about whether I'm better off with one of these SATA raid
controllers or just going with SCSI drives.

--
greg

Re: Intel SRCS16 SATA raid?

From
"Mohan, Ross"
Date:
sorry, don't remember whether it's SCSI or SATA II, but IIRC
the Areca controllers are just stellar for things.

If you do get SATA for db stuff..especially multiuser...i still
haven't seen anything to indicate an across-the-board primacy
for SATA over SCSI. I'd go w/SCSI, or if SATA for $$$ reasons, I'd
be sure to have many spindles and RAID 10.

my 0.02. I'm surely not an expert of any kind.

Our vendor is trying to sell us on an Intel SRCS16 SATA raid controller instead of the 3ware one.

Poking around it seems this does come with Linux drivers and there is a battery backup option. So it doesn't seem to be
completelyinsane.

Anyone have any experience with these controllers?

I'm also wondering about whether I'm better off with one of these SATA raid controllers or just going with SCSI drives.

--
greg

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Intel SRCS16 SATA raid?

From
Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com
Date:
Greg,

I posted this link under a different thread (the $7k server thread).  It is
a very good read on why SCSI is better for servers than ATA.  I didn't note
bias, though it is from a drive manufacturer.  YMMV.  There is an
interesting, though dated appendix on different manufacturers' drive
characteristics.

http://www.seagate.com/content/docs/pdf/whitepaper/D2c_More_than_Interface_ATA_vs_SCSI_042003.pdf

Enjoy,

Rick

pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org wrote on 04/14/2005 09:54:45 AM:

> Our vendor is trying to sell us on an Intel SRCS16 SATA raid controller
> instead of the 3ware one.
>
> Poking around it seems this does come with Linux drivers and there is a
> battery backup option. So it doesn't seem to be completely insane.
>
> Anyone have any experience with these controllers?
>
> I'm also wondering about whether I'm better off with one of these SATA
raid
> controllers or just going with SCSI drives.
>
> --
> greg

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Intel SRCS16 SATA raid?

From
Alex Turner
Date:
I have read a large chunk of this, and I would highly recommend it to
anyone who has been participating in the drive discussions.  It is
most informative!!

Alex Turner
netEconomist

On 4/14/05, Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com <Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com> wrote:
> Greg,
>
> I posted this link under a different thread (the $7k server thread).  It is
> a very good read on why SCSI is better for servers than ATA.  I didn't note
> bias, though it is from a drive manufacturer.  YMMV.  There is an
> interesting, though dated appendix on different manufacturers' drive
> characteristics.
>
> http://www.seagate.com/content/docs/pdf/whitepaper/D2c_More_than_Interface_ATA_vs_SCSI_042003.pdf
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Rick
>
> pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org wrote on 04/14/2005 09:54:45 AM:
>

> > Our vendor is trying to sell us on an Intel SRCS16 SATA raid controller
> > instead of the 3ware one.
> >
> > Poking around it seems this does come with Linux drivers and there is a
> > battery backup option. So it doesn't seem to be completely insane.
> >
> > Anyone have any experience with these controllers?
> >
> > I'm also wondering about whether I'm better off with one of these SATA
> raid
> > controllers or just going with SCSI drives.
> >
> > --
> > greg

Re: Intel SRCS16 SATA raid?

From
Alex Turner
Date:
I have put together a little head to head performance of a 15k SCSI,
10k SCSI 10K SATA w/TCQ, 10K SATA wo/TCQ and 7.2K SATA drive
comparison at storage review

http://www.storagereview.com/php/benchmark/compare_rtg_2001.php?typeID=10&testbedID=3&osID=4&raidconfigID=1&numDrives=1&devID_0=232&devID_1=40&devID_2=259&devID_3=267&devID_4=261&devID_5=248&devCnt=6

It does illustrate some of the weaknesses of SATA drives, but all in
all the Raptor drives put on a good show.

Alex Turner
netEconomist

On 4/14/05, Alex Turner <armtuk@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have read a large chunk of this, and I would highly recommend it to
> anyone who has been participating in the drive discussions.  It is
> most informative!!
>
> Alex Turner
> netEconomist
>
> On 4/14/05, Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com <Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com> wrote:
> > Greg,
> >
> > I posted this link under a different thread (the $7k server thread).  It is
> > a very good read on why SCSI is better for servers than ATA.  I didn't note
> > bias, though it is from a drive manufacturer.  YMMV.  There is an
> > interesting, though dated appendix on different manufacturers' drive
> > characteristics.
> >
> > http://www.seagate.com/content/docs/pdf/whitepaper/D2c_More_than_Interface_ATA_vs_SCSI_042003.pdf
> >
> > Enjoy,
> >
> > Rick
> >
> > pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org wrote on 04/14/2005 09:54:45 AM:
> >

> > > Our vendor is trying to sell us on an Intel SRCS16 SATA raid controller
> > > instead of the 3ware one.
> > >
> > > Poking around it seems this does come with Linux drivers and there is a
> > > battery backup option. So it doesn't seem to be completely insane.
> > >
> > > Anyone have any experience with these controllers?
> > >
> > > I'm also wondering about whether I'm better off with one of these SATA
> > raid
> > > controllers or just going with SCSI drives.
> > >
> > > --
> > > greg

> > > TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

> > TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your
> >       joining column's datatypes do not match

Re: Intel SRCS16 SATA raid?

From
"Dave Held"