Any s.w. virginia (Blacksburg / Roanoke) PostgreSQL users?

From
Scott Mead
Date:
Hello everyone,

   I live in southwestern VA (Blacksburg), right next to Virginia Tech.  I know that there is a UG in the DC area, but was wondering if there is any interest in the Blacksburg / Roanoke region for getting a group together?

   Of course, I know nothing of the official guidelines surrounding creating a group, and if I'm stepping on toes... I'm Sorry !  I guess I'm more interested in learning if there's anybody else in the region and if our numbers are strong enough to warrant a group... or if we're just destined to take the 5 hour hike up 81 to the DC area :).

--Scott

Re: Any s.w. virginia (Blacksburg / Roanoke) PostgreSQL users?

From
Scott Mead
Just an update:

    I received an off-list reply from someone in the Richmond area who pointed me to the VT. LUG.  I've posted on their member list to look for interest.  I'll keep the PG community up to date as I find users.  If anybody has suggestions for me, I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks all

--Scott

Re: Any s.w. virginia (Blacksburg / Roanoke) PostgreSQL users?

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 10:46:16AM -0400, Scott Mead wrote:
> Just an update:

> I received an off-list reply from someone in the Richmond area who
> pointed me to the VT. LUG.  I've posted on their member list to look
> for interest.  I'll keep the PG community up to date as I find
> users.  If anybody has suggestions for me, I'd appreciate the input.

One way to gather interest is to volunteer to do a talk at an upcoming
meeting about PostgreSQL.  It could be anything from a five-minute
lightning talk on some neat feature to a full hour presentation with a
fancy slide deck and time for questions, depending on what you're
comfortable doing.

If that gets interest, you can see about ramping up to having a
separate meeting.  Just pick a day and keep meeting.  Here in the SF
Bay Area, we go second Tuesdays, but the important thing is to pick a
day and time, and keep meeting.

More info and tips here:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/UserGroupOperatingManual

Cheers,