Argentina and advocacy (re: regional contacts)

From
"Guido Barosio"
Date:
Guys,

   I haven't seen any activity in Argentina, and I haven't seen the
regional contact in open source events also.

   I would love to take the flag, I've already made this public a
year ago, and nothing has changed. Even more, there has been none at
all activity in our country.

Sad :(

My last advocacy act was at our CafeConf, the major open source event
in Argentina, working on a SWOT analisys, comparing both PostgreSQL
and MySQL.

I will be presenting the engine at our national technical university
facilities in La Plata city during the next days, and probably also in
a southern city (Bariloche) during november.

BTW, flyers link?

gb.-

--
Guido Barosio
-----------------------

Re: Argentina and advocacy (re: regional contacts)

From
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Date:

http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000047

--
  Euler Taveira de Oliveira
  http://www.timbira.com/

Re: Argentina and advocacy (re: regional contacts)

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Guido Barosio wrote:
> Guys,
>
>    I haven't seen any activity in Argentina, and I haven't seen the
> regional contact in open source events also.
>
>    I would love to take the flag, I've already made this public a
> year ago, and nothing has changed. Even more, there has been none at
> all activity in our country.

Yeah, Christian Kuroki does not seem to be very active at the community
level.  In principle I support the idea of having Guido as a contact,
but I am not sure if the "press contact" thing is some sort of award.

I know that Christian used to answer email inquiries, at least.

> My last advocacy act was at our CafeConf, the major open source event
> in Argentina, working on a SWOT analisys, comparing both PostgreSQL
> and MySQL.
>
> I will be presenting the engine at our national technical university
> facilities in La Plata city during the next days, and probably also in
> a southern city (Bariloche) during november.

Hey!  That's close to me!  (I live in Valdivia, just a short bus ride
over the Andes)  Let me know, I would be delighted to be there and meet.

Re: Argentina and advocacy (re: regional contacts)

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 11:12:56PM -0300, Guido Barosio wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I haven't seen any activity in Argentina, and I haven't seen the
> regional contact in open source events also.

I tried to get in touch with you for the Postgres presence at 7JRSL
<http://jornadas.grulic.org.ar/7/> but didn't get a response.

> I would love to take the flag, I've already made this public a year
> ago, and nothing has changed.  Even more, there has been none at all
> activity in our country.

I had about a dozen people ask me why there wasn't a Postgres booth
and telling me they'd volunteer for one over the course of the four
hours I was at the conference including the talk I gave.  I just wish
you'd been able to attend :)

> Sad :(
>
> My last advocacy act was at our CafeConf, the major open source
> event in Argentina, working on a SWOT analisys, comparing both
> PostgreSQL and MySQL.

Great to hear :)

> I will be presenting the engine at our national technical university
> facilities in La Plata city during the next days, and probably also
> in a southern city (Bariloche) during november.

Any chance you can get to pgcon.br <http://www.postgresql.org.br> in
São Paulo in December?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Argentina and advocacy (re: regional contacts)

From
"Guido Barosio"
Date:
David,

> On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 11:12:56PM -0300, Guido Barosio wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > I haven't seen any activity in Argentina, and I haven't seen the
> > regional contact in open source events also.
>
> I tried to get in touch with you for the Postgres presence at 7JRSL
> <http://jornadas.grulic.org.ar/7/> but didn't get a response.
>
> > I would love to take the flag, I've already made this public a year
> > ago, and nothing has changed.  Even more, there has been none at all
> > activity in our country.
>
> I had about a dozen people ask me why there wasn't a Postgres booth
> and telling me they'd volunteer for one over the course of the four
> hours I was at the conference including the talk I gave.  I just wish
> you'd been able to attend :)

   I have not been able to attend Grulic, those days were anoying at
work. I did present a talk but it was refused because I've lost the
calendar for proposals.

> > Sad :(
> >
> > My last advocacy act was at our CafeConf, the major open source
> > event in Argentina, working on a SWOT analisys, comparing both
> > PostgreSQL and MySQL.
>
> Great to hear :)
>
> > I will be presenting the engine at our national technical university
> > facilities in La Plata city during the next days, and probably also
> > in a southern city (Bariloche) during november.
>
> Any chance you can get to pgcon.br <http://www.postgresql.org.br> in
> São Paulo in December?

Sir yes sir; unclear yet if I will be there on friday or just the
saturday. But definetely yes.

> Cheers,
> David.

So, is this a +1 also?

:)

--
Guido Barosio
-----------------------

Date:
On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 02:52:08PM -0300, Guido Barosio wrote:
> David,
> > On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 11:12:56PM -0300, Guido Barosio wrote:
> > > Guys,
> > >
> > > I haven't seen any activity in Argentina, and I haven't seen the
> > > regional contact in open source events also.
> >
> > I tried to get in touch with you for the Postgres presence at
> > 7JRSL <http://jornadas.grulic.org.ar/7/> but didn't get a
> > response.
> >
> > > I would love to take the flag, I've already made this public a
> > > year ago, and nothing has changed.  Even more, there has been
> > > none at all activity in our country.
> >
> > I had about a dozen people ask me why there wasn't a Postgres
> > booth and telling me they'd volunteer for one over the course of
> > the four hours I was at the conference including the talk I gave.
> > I just wish you'd been able to attend :)
>
> I have not been able to attend Grulic, those days were anoying at
> work. I did present a talk but it was refused because I've lost the
> calendar for proposals.

It happens :)

> > > Sad :(
> > >
> > > My last advocacy act was at our CafeConf, the major open source
> > > event in Argentina, working on a SWOT analisys, comparing both
> > > PostgreSQL and MySQL.
> >
> > Great to hear :)
> >
> > > I will be presenting the engine at our national technical
> > > university facilities in La Plata city during the next days, and
> > > probably also in a southern city (Bariloche) during november.
> >
> > Any chance you can get to pgcon.br <http://www.postgresql.org.br>
> > in São Paulo in December?
>
> Sir yes sir; unclear yet if I will be there on friday or just the
> saturday.  But definetely yes.

Awesome :)

> So, is this a +1 also?

Sure, for what it's worth.  I don't think I'll be in South America any
time before pgcon.br, though.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Argentina and advocacy (re: regional contacts)

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Alvaro, Guido,

> Yeah, Christian Kuroki does not seem to be very active at the community
> level.  In principle I support the idea of having Guido as a contact,
> but I am not sure if the "press contact" thing is some sort of award.

Christian is also maintaining PostgreSQL.ar, so Guido, you should contact
him and work something out.

> I know that Christian used to answer email inquiries, at least.

Speaking of which, Alvaro ... you want to verify that you're still the
regional contact for Chile?  I've not seen a reply from you ...

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Argentina and advocacy (re: regional contacts)

From
"Guido Barosio"
Date:
I will contact him on this matter.

Shall I consider myself the regional contact?

There is an open source event the first days of December, I can try to
work out something there.

gb.-

--
Guido Barosio
-----------------------
http://www.globant.com
guido.barosio@globant.com

Re: Argentina and advocacy (re: regional contacts)

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Guido,

> Shall I consider myself the regional contact?

No, Christian said that he wants to do it for another year.  So talk to
him, and see if it makse sense to change.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Argentina and advocacy (re: regional contacts)

From
"Guido Barosio"
Date:
Josh, et all,

His replies are off line?

Christian: there are 2 events at Buenos Aires and Bariloche during
November and December, are you planning something?

Let me know your intentions please.

gb.-

--
Guido Barosio
-----------------------

Date:
Josh Berkus escribió:
> Alvaro, Guido,
>
> > Yeah, Christian Kuroki does not seem to be very active at the community
> > level.  In principle I support the idea of having Guido as a contact,
> > but I am not sure if the "press contact" thing is some sort of award.
>
> Christian is also maintaining PostgreSQL.ar, so Guido, you should contact
> him and work something out.

I don't really know what's this "PostgreSQL.ar" of which you speak.

> > I know that Christian used to answer email inquiries, at least.
>
> Speaking of which, Alvaro ... you want to verify that you're still the
> regional contact for Chile?  I've not seen a reply from you ...

Hum, a reply to what?  When I received your message I sent myself email
to cl@postgresql.org and alvherre@postgresql.org and they both get to
me.  I haven't been getting much mail via those addresses ...

--
Alvaro Herrera                               http://www.PlanetPostgreSQL.org/
We take risks not to escape from life, but to prevent life escaping from us.