Re: Dumping/Restoring with constraints? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Phoenix Kiula
Subject Re: Dumping/Restoring with constraints?
Date
Re: Dumping/Restoring with constraints?
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:53 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> No, you were right the first time: just feed the dump script to psql.

Ok. Tried that. Because there's no database, I have to execute the
psql command as "postgres" otherwise it doesn't work.

So here's my command:

  $ psql -d postgres -U postgres -h localhost < mydb.sql

This seems to be it. This is what I should be executing, except that
it spews out many errors, like:

   ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x80

This prevents my main table from being copied - Why can't the dump and
the restore just copy the file as-is, including the encoding and such?
What am I not doing right?

Thanks