Re: 7.1 Release Date - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andreas Tille
Subject Re: 7.1 Release Date
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Karl DeBisschop wrote:

> Having done both Redhat and debian installs, I have to say I'm much more
> fond of Redhat's process. In a work environment, you need to be able to
> put the CD in the server that sits in the server room, then walk away. A
> redhat install takes half an hour. When I did a debian install at home
> it took days, mostly because the machine kept waiting for me to answer
> some silly little question. Redhat has it's pitfalls as well -- overall
> I'm pretty neutral over which I prefer, but there are important virtues
> to Redhat's strategy.
To be exact: The *old* Debian strategy.  Debconf in Potato (2.2) does
a great job and will be even better in the future.  There exist's also
an project called FAI, which enables fully automatical install.

No intention to start a distribution flamewar, just to serve some
facts, which I have to while being a Debian maintainer ;-).
Just use your favourite distribution and have fun with the nice
PostgreSQL server.

Kind regards

          Andreas.