RE: Access 97 Database and Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From
Subject RE: Access 97 Database and Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Wilkinson Charlie E wrote:

> Mmm??  Now you've really got my ear.  You're saying I could hack up
> something in Perl on the Linux box to snarf data out of the Access
> database on the Windoze box via ODBC?  (I just assumed that the
> Windoze ODBC stuff would be client-only.)  I've already done some DBI
> stuff with Postgres, so I'm not completely out in the dark here.

Check out www.unixodbc.com -- you'll have to set up an ODBC-ODBC bridge to
connect to Access, but it can be done.  There's also an ODBC module for
Perl on the Windows side, but then you're still stuck with using ODBC to
connect back to Postgres.  But it's Perl -- it's much faster, smarter and
cooler than having do it inside of Access or with Visual Basic!

Brett W. McCoy
                                         http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
Drop that pickle!