Sun Solaris Specific FAQ - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Subject Sun Solaris Specific FAQ
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi!
  I struggled through compiling PostgreSQL, and tried it out,
only to run across an insufficient shared memory problem.
Above mentioned FAQ says, no problem, just edit /etc/system
and insert the following:
 set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=0x7fffffff

Great!  Wonderful!  What the heck is my system running for
shmsys:shminfo_shmmax now????  I try to look in the man pages,
nothing.  Hmmm, maybe answerbooks has it.  CRASH!  My system
has had ongoing problems since Y2K patches were applied
Dec31 with ToolTalk, and answerbooks won't run.  Four days
of pulling my hair out trying to remember/figure out how
patches working for this fsck'ing Solaris system, and I get
answerbooks running again.  It does indeed have information
on this shared memory thing.  It tells me the default value
is decimal 1,048,576, and since my /etc/system didn't have
any statements overriding this, that is what I was presently
running.  So, what is 0x7fffffff??  2,147,426,318 or a little
more than twice as big.

Could somebody please edit the FAQ and mention what the default
is, and present these values as both hexadecimal and decimal?

Gord

Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101  9504 182 St. NW    Edmonton, AB, CA  T5T 3A7
780/481-8019            ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca