Re: Server instrumentation for 8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Server instrumentation for 8.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers

These functions are all superuser only where required, and are used to
provide support for features expected as standard by many people.
Keeping them in separate packages is a) inconvenient and b) could have a
negative effect on our reputation, because people will say things like
"yes, PostgreSQL can do XYZ as SQL or Oracle does, but you need to
install this contrib module, this set of functions from www.pgadmin.org
just to view your logfiles and see how big your database is...".

IMO, the functions we are talking about are in a different league from
things like PLs - it makes sense to download them as required as they
are entirely application specific. It doesn't make sense to require
additional components to edit the server config files and view logs etc
if your preferred interface just happens to be a GUI.

Regards, Dave