Re: Lower Random Access Time vs RAID 0 / 1 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ron
Subject Re: Lower Random Access Time vs RAID 0 / 1
Date
List pgsql-performance
1= a better HD comparison resource can be found at www.storagereview.com
http://www.storagereview.com/comparison.html

You will find that storagereview has better information on any and
all things HD than Tom's does.

2= DB servers work best with as many spindles as possible.  None of
your example configurations is adequate; and any configuration with
only 1 HD is a data loss / data corruption disaster waiting to happen.
In general, the more spindles the better with any DB.  The =minimum=
should be at least 4 HD's =dedicated= to the DB.  OS HD's are
independent and in addition to the 4+ DB HDs.

3= "heavy duty large DB with mostly reads and heavy write actions
from time to time ( updates / huge transactions )." Does not have
anywhere near the precision needed to adequately describe your needs
in engineering terms.
How big a DB?
What % of the IO will be reads?  % writes?
How big is a "huge transaction"?
Exactly what is the primary use case of this server?
etc.  We need =numbers= if we are going to think about "speeds and
feeds" and specify HW.

4= =seriously= consider HW RAID controllers like 3ware (AKA AMCC) or
Areca. with BB IO caches.

You've got a lot more work ahead of you.
Ron