Re: [PERFORM] Hints proposal - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD
Subject Re: [PERFORM] Hints proposal
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > Can you give us an example that had such a monstrous effect in
Oracle,
> > other than that the hint was a mistake in the first place ?
>
> Of course the hint was a mistake in the first place; the
> little story I told was exactly an example of such a case.
> The hint shouldn't have been put in place at the beginning;
> instead, the root cause should have been uncovered.

This is not an example. For us to understand, we need an actual case
with syntax and all, and what happened.

Imho the use of a stupid hint, that was added without analyzing
the cause and background of the problem is no proof that statement hints
are bad,
only that the person involved was not doing his job.

Andreas