Re: [ADMIN] [PERFORM] 2 server with same configuration but huge difference in performance - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: [ADMIN] [PERFORM] 2 server with same configuration but huge difference in performance
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 8:45 AM, Sumeet Shukla <sumeet.k.shukla@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems that it is happening because of the way the database is created. On
> an old database it runs perfectly fine or if I use the old DB as template to
> create the new one, it  runs fine. But if I create a new DB with same
> settings and permissions it hangs. I'm now trying to find the difference
> between these 2 databases.

Likely a difference in encoding or collation. What does \l show you
(that's a lower case L btw)

smarlowe=> \l
                                  List of databases
   Name    |  Owner   | Encoding |   Collate   |    Ctype    |
Access privileges
 postgres  | smarlowe | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
 smarlowe  | smarlowe | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |

UTF8 and en_US are much more expensive than SQL_ASCII and C would be
for text and such. Basically indexes either don't work or work as well
under en_US if you're comparing or sorting text.