Re: Upgrade questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Upgrade questions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 2:34 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 03/14/12 12:53 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>>
>> Note that if you don't need a lot of storage you can often use 300G
>> 15k SAS drives which are around $300 each. 20 of those in a RAID-10
>> gives you ~3TB of storage which is plenty for most transactional
>> applications.
>

> I'm actually using 25 x 146gb 15k SAS2 as we didn't need space, just speed,
> so the 20xraid10 is 1.4TB.   most of our database tests to date have been in
> the 50-100GB range.   and they shread at IOPS.  the controller and/or IO
> channels seems to bottleneck somewhere up around 1.2GB/sec sustained write,
> or at about 12000 write IOPS.
>
> afaik, the HP P411 raid card is a LSI Logic megasas2 card with HP firmware,
> the hardware is equivalent to the LSI 9260-8i.   the HP firmware is somewhat
> less annoying than the LSI megacli stuff.

And don't forget that if you need way less than the 1.5 to 3TB
mentioned earlier, you can short stroke the drives to use the fastest
parts of the platters and reduce seek times even more.

And yeah, anything is less annoying than megacli.  The fact that their
GUI / BIOS interface is just as horrific, if not moreso, than megacli
is a huge turn off for me with LSI.  If you've ever used the web
interface on the OOB ethernet interface on an Areca, you're hooked.
The fact that it can send emails on its own etc is just frosting on
the cake.