Re: [PERFORM] Speeding up JSON + TSQUERY + GIN - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: [PERFORM] Speeding up JSON + TSQUERY + GIN
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 1:19 PM, Sven R. Kunze <srkunze@mail.de> wrote:
On 01.03.2017 18:04, Jeff Janes wrote:
On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 6:02 AM, Sven R. Kunze <srkunze@mail.de> wrote:
On 28.02.2017 17:49, Jeff Janes wrote:
Oh.  In my hands, it works very well.  I get 70 seconds to do the {age: 20} query from pure cold caches, versus 1.4 seconds from cold caches which was followed by pg_prewarm('docs','prefetch').

How much RAM do you have?  Maybe you don't have enough to hold the table in RAM.  What kind of IO system?  And what OS?

On my test system:

RAM: 4GB
IO: SSD (random_page_cost = 1.0)
OS: Ubuntu 16.04

4GB is not much RAM to be trying to pre-warm this amount of data into.  Towards the end of the pg_prewarm, it is probably evicting data read in by the earlier part of it.

What is shared_buffers?

942MB.

But I see where you are coming from. How come that these queries need a Recheck Cond? I gather that this would require reading not only the index data but also the table itself which could be huge, right?

Bitmaps can overflow and drop the row-level information, tracking only the blocks which need to be inspected.  So it has to have a recheck in case that happens (although in your case it is not actually overflowing--but it still needs to be prepared for that).  Also, I think that jsonb_path_ops indexes the hashes of the paths, so it can deliver false positives which need to be rechecked.  And you are selecting `id`, which is not in the index so it would have to consult the table anyway to retrieve that.  Even if it could get all the data from the index itself, I don't think GIN indexes support that feature.

Cheers,

Jeff