Re: Re: Increasing work_mem and shared_buffers on Postgres 9.2 significantly slows down queries - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Re: Increasing work_mem and shared_buffers on Postgres 9.2 significantly slows down queries
Date
In response to Re: Re: Increasing work_mem and shared_buffers on Postgres 9.2 significantly slows down queries  ("Gunnar \"Nick\" Bluth" <gunnar.bluth@pro-open.de>)
List pgsql-performance
On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Gunnar "Nick" Bluth
<gunnar.bluth@pro-open.de> wrote:

> Well, I'm pretty sure that having more work_mem is a good thing (tm)
> normally ;-)

In my experience when doing sorts in isolation, having more work_mem
is a bad thing, unless it enables you to remove a layer of
tape-merging.  I always blamed it on the L1/L2 etc. levels of caching.

Cheers,

Jeff