Re: Occasional timeouts on TRUNCATE and simple INSERTs - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Sergey Konoplev
Subject Re: Occasional timeouts on TRUNCATE and simple INSERTs
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Osborn, Jeff <jeosborn@akamai.com> wrote:
> I am seeing some strange performance on a new pg9.1 instance.  We are seeing occasional statement timeouts on some
TRUNCATEsand INSERTs.  In both cases, the statements are quite simple:
>    - TRUNCATE schema.table;
>   -  INSERT  INTO schema.table VALUES  ($1,2,$2,'');
>
> Sometimes these will succeed.  Occasionally I see timeouts.  The statement_timeout is set to 60 seconds.  These
tablesare not particularly large; in the case of the insert, the table only has three rows.

A most common case is when backup (pg_dump*) is running TRUNCATE has
to wait for it because it acquires an access exclusive lock on a table
and all other queries including INSERT have to wait for the TRUNCATE.
Check the backup case first.

> Our previous Postgresql 8.2 instance did not have this problem.

This is strange for me.

--
Sergey Konoplev
Database and Software Architect