Re: PostgreSQL over internet - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From belal hamed
Subject Re: PostgreSQL over internet
Date
List pgsql-performance
>Here is your "problem". You need to understand the performance
>characteristics of your communication channel. ADSL is a VERY
>asymmetric communications channel. Down is usually much faster
>than up.

How it could be ADSL problem when it's the same in tow tests ?
beside data transferred when using tunnel is much bigger (about 10KB)  than direct connection (400B)
so it should be slower when using tunnel but the result shows it was faster !!!!

>When you wrap the communication channel in an IP tunnel, you are
>collapsing much of the syn-ack of the libpq protocol. You can see
>the same effect trying to run any sort of X windows application.

If that so, why these is not same option in Postgresql, Is it necessary to use IP tunnel to do that and perform fast fetch?

>Try creating a simple SSH tunnel
my server is windows 7

>It should be possible to distinguish between:
>  - slowness caused by the database query itself
>  - slowness caused by the network fundamentally.
>  - slowness caused by the postgresql/libpq.

I run the same query on same network connection so I eliminate the  slowness caused by the database query and network fundamentally,
nothing left but postgresql/libpq

not anyone consider there may be a bug when connection to a remote server over internet in libpq
the only different when I used the tunnel is I connect to localhost instead  of server IP or domain name (I try both)