Re: Two identical systems, radically different performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Craig James
Subject Re: Two identical systems, radically different performance
Date
List pgsql-performance

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 9:14 AM, David Thomas <david@digitaldogma.org> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 08, 2012 at 04:40:31PM -0700, Craig James wrote:
>    Nobody has commented on the hyperthreading question yet ... does it
>    really matter? The old (fast) server has hyperthreading disabled, and
>    the new (slower) server has hyperthreads enabled.
>    If hyperthreading is definitely NOT an issue, it will save me a trip to
>    the co-lo facility.

From my reading it seems that hyperthreading hasn't been a major issue
for quite sometime on modern kernels.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2004-10/msg00052.php

I doubt it would hurt much, but I wouldn't make a special trip to the
co-lo to change it.

At this point I've discovered no other options, so down to the co-lo I go.  I'm also going to check power-save options and the RAID controller's built-in configuration to see if I overlooked something there (readahead, blocksize, whatever).

Craig

--
DavidT