Re: Fwd: [HACKERS] client performance v.s. server statistics - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Han Zhou
Subject Re: Fwd: [HACKERS] client performance v.s. server statistics
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi,

To be more specific, I list my calculation here:
The timing shown in psql may include: plan + execution + copying to
result set in backend (does this step exist?) + transferring data to
client via socket.

Then I want to know what's the time shown in pg_stat_statement and
EXPLAIN ANALYZE in terms of the above mentioned parts. And why are the
gap is almost 10 times (100 ms v.s. 1 second)? As a comparison,
transferring same amount of data with unix domain socket should cost
only a very small fraction of this (almost negligible), according to
my other performance tests.

And I don't think the plan time plays an important role here in
EXPLAIN ANALYZE, because the command itself costs similar time to the
"Total runtime" as shown in psql (timing on), which means the plan is
too simple to take any significant part of time in this case.

Best regards,
Han

--
Best regards,