Windows XP 64 bit - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Campbell, Lance
Subject Windows XP 64 bit
Date
List pgsql-performance

I posted this question to the admin group.  I just realized that I should have sent it here.

I just read the following article:

http://people.planetpostgresql.org/mha/index.php?/archives/162-PostgreSQL-vs-64-bit-windows.html

Would there be benefits in running PostgreSQL in a 32 bit mode on a 64 bit version of XP?   My thought is that the OS could access more of the memory for the caching of the files.  On my production Linux box, I don’t allocate more than a 2 Gig to PostgreSQL.  I leave the rest of the memory available for the caching of disk files.  So even though PostgreSQL would be running in a 32 bit mode it seems like it would still run better on a 64 bit XP box compared to a 32 bit version.  This of course assumes that one does have a sizeable database and more than 3 Gig of memory.

Is this a correct assumption?

Would the performance be relatively similar to that of Linux?

Thanks,

Lance Campbell

Project Manager/Software Architect

Web Services at Public Affairs