Re: Additional Grants To SuperUser? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dmitriy Igrishin
Subject Re: Additional Grants To SuperUser?
Date
List pgsql-general

2011/2/4 Carlos Mennens <carlos.mennens@gmail.com>
On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 2:18 PM, David Johnston <polobo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Not to be smart about it but you could just logon as carlos (or a different
> superuser you create for this purpose) and issue "Create Database xxx" and
> "Create Role xxx" statements and see whether they work.  A superuser should
> (imo) be able to do everything (including dropping) without any additional
> permissions required so unless you see that carlos cannot I would say you
> are good.

Yes but I'm trying to understand the difference because the default
'postgres' user that is auto-configured to have 'SUPERUSER',
'CREATEDB', & 'CREATEROLE' grants. I'm trying to understand if those
are redundant grants or if there is a reason PostgreSQL developers
grant the 'postgres' user with SUPERUSER, CREATEDB, & CREATEROLE.
Seems to me logically that if a someone is a superuser, then they
should be able to CREATEDB & CREATEROLE, no? So why would the
'postgres' user need those additional attributes?
These all (SUPERUSER, CREATEDB, SUPERUSER) are role attributes.
By performing ALTER ROLE postgres NOSUPERUSER it is possible to
turn role with a superuser status into a role that just can create databases
and manage roles (admin, but without superuser privileges).

postgres=# \du
           List of roles
 Role name  | Attributes  | Member of