Re: Best suiting OS - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Haszlakiewicz, Eric
Subject Re: Best suiting OS
Date
List pgsql-performance

I'm running Postgres on NetBSD and RHEL4.  I haven't noticed any particular differences in Postgres performance due to
theOS, but then again I haven't performed any kind of formal benchmarks, nor am I really stressing the database all
thatmuch (most of the time).
My preference for OS to run is NetBSD, because I'm most familiar with it and there have been some fairly significant
recentfocus on performance improvements.  If you're really worried about getting the best performance I think you're
justgoing to have to try a few different OSes and see if you notice a difference.

btw, do you mean 200+ databases in a single postgres server, or that many different postgres servers?   Running 200
differentservers sounds like it might be problematic on any OS due to the amount of shared memory that'll need to be
allocated.

eric