Re: Issue during postgresql startup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Yogesh Sharma
Subject Re: Issue during postgresql startup
Date
List pgsql-general

Dear All,

Could you please update your suggestion on below mail

Regards,

Yogesh

From: Yogesh Sharma
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2016 3:57 PM
To: John R Pierce; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: RE: [GENERAL] Issue during postgresql startup

Dear All,

I am sharing my further observation regarding the system behavior.

The errors related to this missing table file started coming from 2016-04-24 20:37:11 till the end when pg_xlog filled up the disk space and postgres crashed eventually.

postgresql_log.Sun.gz:<%2016-04-24 20:37:11 GMT> ERROR:  could not open relation 1663/16385/1299988: No such file or directory

PostgreSQL:PANIC:  could not write to file "pg_xlog/xlogtemp.21498": No space left on device server closed the connection unexpectedly

        before or while processing the request.

Furthermore, as a periodic maintenance REINDEXING of table executed at 2016-04-24 20:33:05, Although table file is recreated at index reconstruction, for some reason, the recreated table file 1299988 got deleted, and probably led to this issue.

There is a difference of roughly 4 minutes between the REINDEXING and the point where this error start coming. I am trying to find out if there is any sort of relation between postgres and table file deletion (Probably some sort of bug in postgres ?).

As an experiment I tried to create a dummy file “1663/16385/1299988” using dd command and triggered postgres start but postgres delete the dummy file automatically. Due to this sort of behavior I am suspecting that the actual file created after REINDEX might be having some sort of corruption and postgres deleted that file automatically.

I’ll appreciate any kind of opinion on my understanding.

Thanks,

Yogesh Sharma