Re: Odd estimation issue with user-defined type - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Florian Weimer
Subject Re: Odd estimation issue with user-defined type
Date
List pgsql-performance
* Tom Lane:

>> Any idea what could cause this?  Do I need to provide some estimator
>> function somewhere?
>
> If you haven't, then how would you expect the planner to know that?

Perhaps it's psychic, or there is some trick I don't know about? 8-)

> Less flippantly, you really need to tell us exactly what planner support
> you did provide, before you can expect any intelligent comment.  Has the
> type got a default btree opclass?

Yes, I think so (because of CREATE OPERATOR CLASS ... USING btree).

> What selectivity estimators did you attach to the comparison
> operators?

Ah, I see, I probably need to provide a RESTRICT clause in the
operator definition.  That should do the trick, and should be fairly
easy to implement in this case.

Sorry, I just missed this piece of information in the documentation, I
should have read it more carefully.

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99