Re: Press release for 7.3 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Press release for 7.3
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
The current version of MS SQL Server is primarily licensed on a
per-processor basis. They probably mean licenses for 16 processors. You
can then put that on 16 small machines, 2 fairly large or 1 very large,
and AFAIK you can move the licenses between the machines freely.

Per-processor licensing is *required* if you want to
publish-to-the-internet. If you run intranet only, you can use
per-*device* (client device, that is) licensing if you want to, but MS
is pitching to make this go away (for example, removing it from their
enterprise agreement contracts). There is no such thing as per-*user*
licensing.

//Magnus