Re: postgresql meltdown on PlanetMath.org - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: postgresql meltdown on PlanetMath.org
Date
List pgsql-performance
Chris Sutton <chris@smoothcorp.com> writes:
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Tom Lane wrote:
>> In CVS tip, a whole-database VACUUM VERBOSE gives info about the free
>> space map occupancy, eg
>> INFO:  Free space map: 224 relations, 450 pages stored; 3776 total pages needed.
>> Allocated FSM size: 1000 relations + 20000 pages = 178 KB shared mem.

> How do you get this information?

Before CVS tip, you don't.

[ thinks...]  Perhaps we could back-port the FSM changes into 7.3 ...
it would be a larger change than I'd usually consider reasonable for a
stable branch, though.  Particularly considering that it would be hard
to call it a bug fix.  By any sane definition this is a new feature,
and we have a policy against putting new features in stable branches.

            regards, tom lane