Re: apparent wraparound - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: apparent wraparound
Date
List pgsql-general
"George Pavlov" <gpavlov@mynewplace.com> writes:
> I am on 8.1.3 on Linux. I have a
> log entry like this:

> 2006-11-08 12:38:34 PST [3739]: [3-1] LOG:  could not truncate directory
> "pg_multixact/members": apparent wraparound

During crash recovery?  If so, probably nothing to worry about, per this
8.1.5 bug fix:

    * src/backend/access/transam/multixact.c (REL8_1_STABLE): Don't try
    to truncate multixact SLRU files in checkpoints done during xlog
    recovery.  In the first place, it doesn't work because slru's
    latest_page_number isn't set up yet (this is why we've been hearing
    reports of strange "apparent wraparound" log messages during crash
    recovery, but only from people who'd managed to advance their
    next-mxact counters some considerable distance from 0).  In the
    second place, it seems a bit unwise to be throwing away data during
    crash recovery anwyway.  This latter consideration convinces me to
    just disable truncation during recovery, rather than computing
    latest_page_number and pushing ahead.

            regards, tom lane