Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gregory S. Williamson
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase
Date
List pgsql-general
Jim C. Nasby was quoted as saying:

--

Doesn't really matter if the legal issues are ultimately in one's favor, if one's erstwhile opponent has enough lawyer
time... even if you can survive the lengthy battle, it may well be a pyrrhic victory.

Not having specific assets to be tied up helps, but Oracle could then generate enough FUD it would hamper the use (and
spread)of PostgreSQL. Oracle would probably not do so directly but through some 3rd party (or parties).

OTH, has PostgreSQL cost Oracle enough, or does it threaten to cost enough, to make such a venture worthwhile? In the
shortrun it would generate a lot of unsympathetic press and some support for the project.

My $0.03 worth ... and now back to work.

Greg Williamson