Re: Latest advice on SSD? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Latest advice on SSD?
Date
List pgsql-performance
The 512 Gb model is big enough that the SLC cache and performance is
gonna be ok. What would worry me is the lifetime: individual 512 Gb 850
EVOs are rated at 150 Tb over 5 years. Compare that to the Intel S3710 -
400 Gb is rated at 8 Pb over 5 years. These drives are fast enough so
that you *might* write more than 4x 150 = 600 Tb over 5 years...

In addition - Samsung are real cagey about the power loss reliability of
these drives - I suspect that if you do lose power unexpectedly then
data corruption will result (no capacitors to keep RAM cache in sync).

regards

Mark

https://amplitude.engineering/how-a-single-postgresql-config-change-improved-slow-query-performance-by-50x-85593b8991b0