Re: Wierd context-switching issue on Xeon patch for 7.4.1 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Wierd context-switching issue on Xeon patch for 7.4.1
Date
List pgsql-performance
>> Having to recompile to run on single- vs dual-processor
>machines doesn't
>> seem like it would fly.
>
>Oh, I don't know.  Many applications require compiling for a target
>architecture; SQL Server, for example, won't use a 2nd
>processor without
>re-installation.   I'm not sure about Oracle.

Uh, that is not quite true - at leasdt not for current versions. SQL Server will pick up and use whatever processors
theunderlying OS supports. Now, depending on how you install the OS (Windows, that is) you may have ended up with a
kerneland HAL that does not support multiprocessor. In this case, you have to change HAL. But you certainly don't have
toreinstalsl SQL Server or Windows. Just a reboot (pretty normal when you add a CPU...)

Now, there can be licensing issues if you are in per-processor licensing, but that's a completely different issue.
Also,the "Standard Edition" only uses up to 4 CPUs, but again, that's a different issue.

//Magnus