Re: do we need inet_ntop check? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: do we need inet_ntop check?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Currently the IPv6 check in configure.in says this:

> HAVE_IPV6=no
> AC_CHECK_TYPE([struct sockaddr_in6],
>               [AC_CHECK_FUNC(inet_ntop,
>                              [AC_DEFINE(HAVE_IPV6, 1, [Define to 1 if
> you have support for IPv6.])
>                               HAVE_IPV6=yes])],
>               [],
> [$ac_includes_default
> #include <netinet/in.h>])
> AC_SUBST(HAVE_IPV6)

> However, we don't use inet_ntop anywhere in our code that I can see,
> either in the HEAD or REL8_0_STABLE branch. So why do we need that extra
> check (which fails on Windows)?

I can't see any reason for it either.  AFAICT, all we actually depend
on to compile the #ifdef HAVE_IPV6 code is (a) struct sockaddr_in6 and
(b) the macro AF_INET6.  Arguably we should have an explicit test for
the latter, but unless someone exhibits a header file that has the
struct but not the macro, the struct test seems sufficient.

I'll remove the configure test.  I assume you want it gone from the 8.0
branch too...