Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pierre Chevalier Géologue
Subject Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"
Date
List pgsql-general
Interesting conversation.

While reading it, I sort of regret the times when a single guy was in
charge of the whole thing, and managed to simply make it work, using all
possible tools he had.  "Informaticien" was the generic term, in French.

Every single part of the big thing he built (hardware on server and
clients' sides, database, network, client programs, server programs,
etc.) may not be perfect (often from far), but the whole thing was
running smoothly, and he knew perfectly what to fix when something was
happening.
Yes, it took a multipurpose fellow to do that, neither a "SQL-only"
fellow, nor a "C-what-else" guy.

It also reminds me of a paper I read once, where it was carefully
explained why scientists hated databases.  But that's another subject.

Le 04/05/2016 21:22, Will McCormick a écrit :
> Yeah but your already paying for a developer ...

À+
Pierre
Pierre Chevalier
PChGEI: Pierre Chevalier Géologue Et Informaticien
Partenaire DALIBO
     Mesté Duran
     32100 Condom
   Tél+fax  :    09 75 27 45 62
                 06 37 80 33 64
   Émail  :   pierrechevaliergeolCHEZfree.fr
   icq#   :   10432285
   jabber: pierre.chevalier1967@jabber.fr
   http://pierremariechevalier.free.fr/pierre_chevalier_geologue