Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pierre Chevalier Géologue
Subject Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"
Date
List pgsql-general
Le 17/05/2016 11:25, Geoff Winkless a écrit :

>>> Why reinvent the wheel? I would say that putting the development
>>> effort into the OpenOffice Base app would be time better spent.

True.  But I must say that I would be looking towards something a bit
lighter.  LibreOffice is a bit of a heavyweight, IMHO.  The "Base" is
kind of bizarre to use, I always miss some of its logic, somehow.  I
have to try its latest version, see if it's decently usable for a lambda
user.

>> Sorry if I missed something but what's wrong with pgadmin3 ?
> There's nothing wrong with pgadmin as such.

Yes, nothing wrong at all.  It is not meant to make UI.  Just some basic
features are implemented for table data editing.

>  From the very email you just quoted:
> ie (as I understand it) they're after some sort of RAD tool.

Yes, that's it, in a way.  Although designing forms is not what I would
call AD (application development)...
When you look back at dBase III or IV, the text user interface which
allowed to interact with the data was very simple, and efficient.
Designing forms (I didn't do much of these, and I can't remember well)
was quite straightforward, and was not at all what I would call an
"application development".  The latter would be made by using clipper,
most often.

À+
Pierre
Pierre Chevalier
PChGEI: Pierre Chevalier Géologue Et Informaticien
Partenaire DALIBO
     Mesté Duran
     32100 Condom
   Tél+fax  :    09 75 27 45 62
                 06 37 80 33 64
   Émail  :   pierrechevaliergeolCHEZfree.fr
   icq#   :   10432285
   jabber: pierre.chevalier1967@jabber.fr
   http://pierremariechevalier.free.fr/pierre_chevalier_geologue