Re: postgres 9.3 vs. 9.4 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: postgres 9.3 vs. 9.4
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 19/09/14 09:10, Mkrtchyan, Tigran wrote:

> [...]

Interesting. With respect to dtrace, you can use systemtap on Linux to
achieve similar things.

However before getting too carried away with that - we already *know*
that 9.4 is spending longer in END (i.e commit) than 9.3 is. I'd
recommend you see what wal_sync_method is set to on both systems. If it
is the same, then my suspicion is that one of the SSD's needs to be
trimmed [1]. You can do this by running:

$ fstrim /mountpoint

Also - are you using the same filesystem and mount options on each SSD?

Cheers

Mark

[1] if fact, for the paranoid - I usually secure erase any SSD before
performance testing, and then check the SMART counters too...