Re: window function induces full table scan - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Thomas Mayer
Subject Re: window function induces full table scan
Date
List pgsql-performance
I have just cloned the postgresql git repository and checked out the
REL9_3_2 tagged version to have a look at the
src/backend/optimizer/path/allpaths.c file.

As Tom already mentioned, quals are currently not pushed down when
subqueries with window functions occur:

There is a function subquery_is_pushdown_safe(...) which is asserting
that quals are not pushed down when window functions occur:

"
  * 2. If the subquery contains any window functions, we can't push quals
  * into it, because that could change the results.
[...]
/* Check point 2 */
if (subquery->hasWindowFuncs)
    return false;
"

To implement the optimization, subquery_is_pushdown_safe() needs to
return true if pushing down the quals to a subquery which has window
functions is in fact safe ("quals that only reference subquery
outputs that are listed in the PARTITION clauses of all window functions
in the subquery").

Plus, there is a function qual_is_pushdown_safe(...) which contains an
assertion, which might possibly become obsolete:

"
/*
  * It would be unsafe to push down window function calls, but at least for
  * the moment we could never see any in a qual anyhow.    (The same applies
  * to aggregates, which we check for in pull_var_clause below.)
  */
Assert(!contain_window_function(qual));
"

Tom, do you think that these two changes could be sufficient? Do you
have a more general aproach in mind?

Best regards
Thomas