Re: hardware advice - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From M. D.
Subject Re: hardware advice
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 09/27/2012 01:47 PM, David Boreham wrote:
> On 9/27/2012 1:37 PM, Craig James wrote:
>> We use a "white box" vendor (ASA Computers), and have been very happy
>> with the results.  They build exactly what I ask for and deliver it in
>> about a week.  They offer on-site service and warranties, but don't
>> pressure me to buy them.  I'm not locked in to anything.  Their prices
>> are good.
>
> I'll second that : we build our own machines from white-label parts
> for typically less than 1/2 the Dell list price. However, Dell does
> provide value to some people : for example you can point a third-party
> software vendor at a Dell box and demand they make their application
> work properly whereas they may turn their nose up at a white label
> box. Same goes for Operating Systems : we have spent much time
> debugging Linux kernel issues on white box hardware. On Dell hardware
> we would most likely have not hit those bugs because Red Hat tests on
> Dell. So YMMV...

I'm in Belize, so what I'm considering is from ebay, where it's unlikely
that I'll get the warranty.  Should I consider some other brand rather?
To build my own or buy custom might be an option too, but I would not
get any warranty.

Dell does sales directly to Belize, but the price is so much higher than
US prices that it's hardly worth the support/warranty.