Re: PANIC: corrupted item pointer - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Janning Vygen
Subject Re: PANIC: corrupted item pointer
Date
List pgsql-general
Thank you so much for still helping me...

Am 30.03.2012 20:24, schrieb Jeff Davis:
> On Fri, 2012-03-30 at 16:02 +0200, Janning Vygen wrote:
>> The PANIC occurred first on March, 19. My servers uptime ist 56 days, so
>> about 4th of February. There was no power failure since i started to use
>> this machine. This machine is in use since March, 7. I checked it twice:
>> Now power failure.
>
> Just to be sure: the postgres instance didn't exist before you started
> to use it, right?

I don't really understand your question, but it was like this:

The OS was installed a few days before, the i installed the postgresql
instance. I configured my setup with a backup server by WAL archiving.
Then i tested some things and i played around with pg_reorg (but i
didn't use ist till then) then i dropped the database, shut down my app,
installed a fresh dump and restarted the app.

>>> Did you get the PANIC and WARNINGs on the primary or the replica? It
>>> might be worth doing some comparisons between the two systems.
>>
>> It only happend on my primary server. My backup server has no suspicious
>> log entries.
>
> Do you have a full copy of the two data directories? It might be worth
> exploring the differences there, but that could be a tedious process.

Is it still worth to make the copy now? At the moment everything is
running fine.

>> It is pretty obvious to me the segmentation fault is the main reason for
>> getting the PANIC afterwards. What can cause a segmentation fault? Is
>> there anything to analyse further?
>
> It's clear that they are connected, but it's not clear that it was the
> cause. To speculate: it might be that disk corruption caused the
> segfault as well as the PANICs.
>
> Do you have any core files?

No, i didn't found any in my postgresql dirs. Should i have a core file
around when i see a segmentation fault? What should i look for?

> Can you get backtraces?

I have never done it before. But as everything runs fine at the moment
it's quite useless, isn't it?

regards
Janning