Re: Very long deletion time on a 200 GB database - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Reuven M. Lerner
Subject Re: Very long deletion time on a 200 GB database
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi, everyone.  Shaun said:
> On 02/24/2012 12:39 AM, Reuven M. Lerner wrote:
>
>> - CPU is virtually idle when running the deletes, using about 1% of
>> CPU
>
> I think you found your problem.
>
> See if you can get the Windows admins to give you some info on how busy
> the disks are (percent utilization, IOPS, something) the next time you
> try this. Increasing your memory settings may help, but a 1% CPU usage
> usually suggests it's waiting for disk blocks to be read before it can
> actually do something.

I asked them for disk readings, but I'm not sure how to contextualize
the numbers I got:

I/O writes: process1: 820,000, process2: 1Milion Process3: 33,000

Any suggestions for what I can do to improve performance with such a
slow disk, and a lack of additional RAM?

Reuven

--
Reuven M. Lerner -- Web development, consulting, and training
Mobile: +972-54-496-8405 * US phone: 847-230-9795