Re: How many Cluster database on a single server - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: How many Cluster database on a single server
Date
List pgsql-performance
"d.davolio@mastertraining.it" <d.davolio@mastertraining.it> wrote:

> We are thinking to use the Streaming Replica feature to keep in
> sync a number of little DB servers around the net. The replica
> should happen on one or more centralized servers. I didn't tested
> the replica personally bus as I can see, it syncs the whole
> Cluster DB. So, on the centralized server(s), we will have perfect
> copies of the Cluster Databases. We sure need to test this
> configuration but first of all I was wondering if there are known
> drawbacks.

We do something very much like this with about 100 standby database
clusters on a single machine.  We don't have any illusion that we
could switch to one of these for a normal production load and have
good performance with all of these competing for resources -- it's
primarily to confirm that the PITR backup process is working and
staying up to date, and to provide a quick source for a copy to a
standby production server.

The one thing I would strongly recommend is that you use a separate
OS user as the owner of each cluster's data directory (and, of
course, to run the cluster's service).  We didn't initially do this,
and had problems on recovery when the server crashed.  If you search
the archives you can probably dig up all the details on why this is
an issue and why separate users is a good solution; but really, this
is important.

-Kevin